Happy new moon to you!
Astrology teaches us that the new moon represents the beginning of a new lunar cycle. Therefore, it is a wonderful time for new beginnings.
When we tap into this natural energy and consciously set new intentions and start new projects at this time, we are able to enhance our manifesting abilities and infuse our goals and dreams with magical powers.
Here is a new moon ritual and meditation that you can use at each new moon. You can practice it by yourself or get together with like-minded friends and enjoy it together!
What You’ll Need
- A pen and piece of paper
- A candle (preferably white) and candle holder
- Meditation music and incense to create sacred space (optional)
1. Spend some time setting the space around you; light candles, burn incense if you wish and play some soft, meditation music if you can. Do whatever feels right to create a calm, relaxing and sacred environment. Wear comfortable clothes, turn your phone off and ensure your privacy will be respected throughout this process.
2. Now, take some time to look inwards and ask yourself what intentions you would like to set, for the month ahead and beyond. This is a time for planting seeds, so what is it you would like to bring to life?
Your intentions can be as small as drinking more water each day and as large as starting a new business. There are no limitations here! When you know what it is you want, write it all down on a piece of paper in the following format:
“My intention is to start/create/invite into my life…”
3. Place your piece of paper to one side and now light your candle. Focus your gaze on the flame and take three slow, deep breaths. With each exhalation really feel as though you’re letting go of everything that no longer requires your attention.
This is a valuable reminder that you deserve this time to focus on yourself. Nobody is needing or wanting anything from you right now. After three deep breaths, close your eyes and allow your breath to find its own natural rhythm. Spend the next five minutes or so here, in a space of mindfulness.
If your mind wanders, just bring your attention back to your breathing as this automatically brings you into the present.
4. When you feel ready to do so, open your eyes and focus your gaze upon the candle once again and say the following prayer.
Blessed New Moon, I call upon thee.
Please infuse my goals and dreams with love, magic and manifesting power.
I am open to receive your blessings, for my highest good and the highest good of all.
So be it and so it is.
Next, take your list of intentions and recite them out loud, repeating each one three times. When you’ve done this, bring your piece of paper to your heart centre, close your eyes and allow yourself to visualise your goals having come to fruition.
Use all of your senses; imagine what you would see, how you would feel, what sounds you can hear. Spend at least five minutes here.
5. When you’re ready to open your eyes, fix your gaze once again upon the candle flame and take three more deep breaths. You can now either choose to burn your piece of paper somewhere outside, allowing the smoke to carry your intentions up to the moon, or you may like to leave your piece of paper beneath the candle holder and allow the candle to burn out naturally over the coming hours or days.
Alternatively, you can choose to place your list somewhere else; on your altar, under your pillow, on a shelf with a crystal sitting on top, or somewhere else where you’ll see it regularly. Trust your instincts and follow what feels best, there’s no right or wrong way.
6. You can choose to end the ritual now, or continue with some meditation. Whenever you’re ready to close, say the following prayer:
Thank you, new moon, for your blessings today/tonight.
I am cleansed.
I am safe.
I am protected.
I now close this space with love and light.
So be it and so it is.
Here are some other practices you can follow to celebrate the phase of the new moon. These can begin the day before and continue until the day after the official time of the new moon.
De-clutter. Pass on old clothes to charity, clear out the kitchen cupboards, organise your office and so on. Clear your home with white sage or palo santo, light candles and incense and create your own sacred space.
Practice self-care. During the new moon, the sky is dark and the moon invisible. It’s very common to feel the need to rest and retreat during this lunar phase, so I encourage you to prioritise self-care. Drink plenty of water, rest, get adequate amounts of sleep and don’t be afraid to say no to demands that will take too much energy from you. Give yourself permission to let go!
Meditate. Our intuition can be naturally more in tune during the new moon, so make plenty of time for rest and meditation. When you make time to be still, it is easier to be a channel for Divine guidance.
Connect to the moon, align yourself with her rhythms and develop rituals that can infuse your life with magic.
New Moon Blessings to You.
By Nicola Harrold